Tuesday 17 September 2013

Lakeybloke's Sansburys Apple And Pear Cider


Lakeybloke's RAG (Raspberry, Apple And Grape)

This is not really a cider as such as the apple content is equal to the rest of the contents, but the only reason I knocked this brew up was because Waitrose had a special on "Welch's" Grape juices (other juices are also available, folks). I think they were around 70-80p a litre on special offer, and are usually around £1.29.

ABV: 6.6%

Date Bottled: 17/03/13

Recipe: 1 4.5ltr Demijohn, 3 litres of Welch's Grape & Raspberry Juice, 1 litre of Welch's Grape, Pear & Apple Juice, 200g brewing sugar or granulated sugar, 1tsp Pectolase, 1tsp Yeast Nutrient

Yeast: Champagne Yeast

Presentation (Colour): Being as this is more of a Raspberry drink than an apple juice, the colour is as to be expected. A rather nice purple coloiur. The picture below gives the impression that it is slightly cloudy, but it really isn't. It's crystal clear.

Score: [8.5/10]

AromaThe smell of raspberries is immediately apparent, but also rather alcoholic.

Score: [5.5/10]

Taste: Much like my earlier brews, this one has dried out a fair amount, but the raspberry flavour has remained. there certainly is no hint of apples or grapes though.

Score: [4.5/10]

FizzThis brew has a slight to medium fizz, which is perfectly adequate for this type of brew. I can't imagine that any additional fizziness would give any additional benefit to the brew,

Score: [5.5/10]

Verdict: I did taste this brew about 2 months into ageing and it wasn't very nice. I was, in fact, in two minds as to whether to throw it or not. 4 months down the line has certainly improved it, though you you would find it difficult to taste any hint of grape or apples in there. I blame the juice myself, as Welch's juice straight out of the carton isn't one of my favourites. If pushed on it, i would say that I probably wouldn't do this one again.

Lakeybloke's RAG - 6.6%




No comments: